Over the last century, humanity has experienced more changes than throughout all of the preceding millennia of post-Neolithic civilization. The challenges we face – global warming, pollution, overpopulation, drought, terrorism, etc. – seem innumerable and often intractable. But there are many glimmers of hope amid the this morass of crises: many people are seeing beyond the present global calamity to an evolving human consciousness that:
• Is planetary in scope
• Is embedded in ever-expanding self-awareness
• Sees the Perennial Philosophy and an evolutionary worldview as complementary
• Acknowledges a convergence of science and mysticism
• Sees the need to inform social activism with spirituality and vice versa
• Works to create meaningful 21st century communities
To explore these and related ideas, we are establishing the Bowen Evolutionary Spirituality Reading Club. Meetings will occur monthly, on the second Sunday of the month (except for the very first meeting, which would take place on Sunday, July 27), from 7-9pm at the Bowen Island Yoga & Holistic Living Studio (585 Prometheus Place, next to Cloudworks Pottery Studio).
We will begin each meeting with a 5-minute meditation, followed by a discussion about the book/reading that was selected the previous month, including some exploration of how the ideas resonate with our daily lives. We will close with song and/or five-minute centring. Every three months, we will have a vegetarian potluck at one of the participants’ homes.
Some Suggested Readings:
- Ken Wilber: Integral Spirituality: A Startling New Role for Religion in the Modern and Postmodern World
- Rupert Sheldrake: Science Set Free
- Alan Clements: Instinct for Freedom: A Maverick’s Guide to Spiritual Revolution
This series will be facilitated by Matt Maxwell.
Matt Maxwell holds a Ph.D. in Education from the University of Toronto and has a diverse professional history, including teaching French, classrooms, facilitating teacher workshops and presenting French concerts across Canada and in the States.
Matt is a professional musician who has written and recorded over 200
original songs in French for young audiences. He has also written several
books of fiction as well a number of refereed academic articles. He has composed and recorded about 100 songs for Dreamsinger, a musical graphic novel project about
the psychological journey we must all take as we move to greater self-awareness.
Matt has hada lifelong interest in meditation an mindfulness practice and
is also very engaged in community projects.